Tuesday, June 21, 2011

City Girl Secret #2- Sunless Tanner

God made me redheaded and pasty. Supposedly, that was "beautiful" but as a teen I just felt like a sheep in a herd of cattle. Texas women are supposed to be tan, with big hair and lots of make-up, right? Not really :) But you get what I am saying! When I was 14, my mom introduced me to sunless tanning creme. Even though I immediately turned streaked orange and smelled a mix of sunscreen and cheap perfume, I was hooked! Looking back I was not fooling anybody, but in my head I had finally joined the club. Unfortunately for my poor friends and family, I stayed in this smelly, streaky, orange state until my late teens. Randomly, my senior year of high school I started tanning for real and my angel kisses (freckles) disappeared... I didn't question it, I just reveled in my new bronze color and layed out whenever I could! Well, thank goodness I have the pictures to prove it because about a year or two ago the glory days ended. I am back looking like my old teenage Scandinavian self- white, freckled and staring skin cancer in the face if I try to fight it. But after an 8 or 9 year hiatus, I was thrilled to find ... there are some really amazing sunless tanners that actually turn you TAN!

My mommy lola always says, "A good tan is the quickest way to lose 10 pounds!"

Sign me up, right?!?!... here are my faves:

1. My all time fave- airbrush tanning that a stylist actually hand sprays on you with something resembling a gardening hose! Beautiful, perfectly tailored and even. A yummy splurge for a big event or a confidence boost during one of those yucky weeks.
Works: Immediately! But can't shower for 8-10 hours
Cost: $30-75 depending on retailer (*tip- the people you find on Internet or yellow pages will be cheaper than ones you find at department store or spa)
Lasts: 1-2 weeks
Con: Have to have an appt and takes about 30-45 minutes start to finish. You will get addicted!

2. Versa Spa- the updated "Mystic Tan" (at most larger tanning salons). Looks very natural, not streaky. Only takes 5 minutes if there is no wait at the tanning salon. A great cheaper alternative!
Works: If you choose the (more expensive) bronzer solution it activates within four hours but this can rub off and ruin your clothes. The clear solution that I have gotten activates in about 12-16 hours, but you can shower after 6.
Cost: $10-20 depending on the shade you choose (the bronzer solution is $20-30- unless you are on a time crunch I would rather pay the extra $ and get an airbrush)
Lasts: 1-2 weeks
Con: Only you will able to tell, but it is not quite as even. Not good for a pool party, comes off in chlorinated water. Also, make sure you wipe down your palms and nails so it does not turn them orange.

3. Jergens Natural Glow- A cheap, great alternative if you have a lot of time. Skin gets super soft and smells good.
Works: Over 2-4 weeks with regular application. Also, a great way to extend a spray tan.
Cost: $6 tube for body lotion, $10 for face lotion
Lasts: Hard to say for sure, maybe a few days once you have reached the color you want if you do not continue application.
Con: Takes dedication (daily application) to reach the color you want, but easy to maintain once you get there. MUST wash hands after application or your knuckles and palms will color orange.

There are so many products on the market, it is a little overwhelming to try and figure out what actually works without having to pay the price of walking around like an "umpa lumpa". This is only what I have tried with success.

Will you tell me what you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment