Friday, April 22, 2011

Easter Eggs and Good Friday

The Incredible Edible Easter Egg
I originally started out on a quest to figure out why we eat hot crossed buns on Good Friday (or for Easter)... I am sure there is a very important and interesting reason we do but the search could not keep my attention. However, I ended up finding out why we have Easter eggs instead of say Easter oranges...

Click here for some adorable egg decorating ideas!

My very condensed version is that the Catholic Church used to ban eating eggs during Lent. Therefore, eggs were often served on Easter, decorated and colored, as a celebration of Christ's Resurrection and the end of Lent. They were frequently decorated red, so the breaking of the shell was symbolic of the shedding of Christ's blood on the cross to give us new life. Also, eggs were boiled to preserve them during the Lenten season- do boiled eggs stay good a long time? I didn't know that! There is a lot more detailed info including stuff on Easter bunny, hunting eggs, etc. here and here if you are interested.

Good Friday
I absolutely love the Message translation of the bible! Even though some feel it controversial, it always makes things so much more clear to me. Just in case you are like me and wanted to read how the Message translates the original Good Friday in Mark 15, go here. And for more on Good Friday go here.

I love everything that is Easter- the candy, the clothes, the music, the colors.... But, today I am feeling sad and somber that I has taken me until Friday of Holy Week to remember what Easter is really about. How close did I come to not getting it at all?

I am reminded of one of my favorite hymns:

Alas! and did my Savior bleed,
and did my Sovereign die!
Would he devote that sacred head
for sinners such as I? 

Chorus:
 But drops of tears can ne'er repay
the debt of love I owe.
Here, Lord, I give myself away;
'tis all that I can do.

 Was it for crimes that I have done,
he groaned upon the tree?
Amazing pity! Grace unknown!
And love beyond degree! Chorus

Well might the sun in darkness hide,
and shut its glories in,
when God, the mighty maker, died
for his own creature's sin. Chorus

Thus might I hide my blushing face
while his dear cross appears;
dissolve my heart in thankfulness,
and melt mine eyes to tears.
 Chorus

Have a blessed Friday and wonderful Easter weekend friends!

4 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you linked up friend!!! And I love this! I had no idea !!!! :) love!!! Xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post Tay! :) youre just a wealth on knowledge :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the "egg info" . . . oh and I lOVE this "How close did I come to not getting it at all?" that is SO true. . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Jesus is the reason! We all get so wrapped up in the Hallmark stuff, that is true. Praise God we know the real reason for Easter in our hearts, for there are many who don't.

    ReplyDelete